Falcons Helping Falcons: Navigating College Relationships 

By Molly Simpson, Staff Reporter 

Hello! Welcome back to Falcons Helping Falcons, the new advice column at Fairmont State. This forum is a place for students to seek anonymous advice from others about all aspects of college life. The first installment of Falcons Helping Falcons included tips and tricks for balancing school, work, and mental health. The article can be found here. This week, we will tackle relationships. From romantic endeavors to roommate conflicts, maintaining healthy relationships can set your college experience up for smooth sailing. However, if relationships are hostile or uncooperative, emotional strain may result. So, let’s uncover the roots of healthy relationships together! 

Question 1: How do I make time for my significant other in a busy college schedule? 

While college is a place for academic enrichment and personal development, it can also be a place for romantic encounters. With over 3,000 students on campus, you will likely encounter one or more romantic interests. If the stars align, you may be in a committed relationship with someone you love. However, balancing coursework and extracurriculars with the time and effort of a relationship can be complicated.  

You’re in luck if your significant other is also an FSU student. With our small campus, you may see each other frequently in common spaces like the Falcon Center or the library. However, it’s also possible that you hardly see your significant other. Maybe you spend days in Hunt-Haught Hall studying chemistry while your S.O. resides in Jaynes Hall writing literature reviews. Thankfully, there is still a solution. If you cannot be together during daytime class hours, try one or more of these activities to let your loved one know you’re thinking of them:  

• Plan an early breakfast or late dinner.  
  • If you share a living space, leave them kind notes or updates. 
  • Send them a text asking about their day.  
  • Show them some of your favorite TikToks or songs. 
  • Begin a TV show together and discuss a few episodes a week. 
  • Plan a joint activity on the weekends. This can be a meal, a movie, or something more adventurous.  

If your significant other lives elsewhere, try adding regular video calls or phone calls to the list of activities above. Call your significant other during down time (like when you wake up or before bed) and talk to them about their day. For a high-tech alternative, try these long-distance touch bracelets that light up and vibrate when touched. These small, thoughtful changes can help nurture your relationship without sacrificing the time you need for studying or other campus activities. 

Question 2: My roommate is extremely messy. How do I politely tell them that their disorganized lifestyle is bothering me?  

Messy roommates can be a source of prolonged stress, especially when their lifestyle clutters communal areas in your dorm. However, there are polite ways to let your roommate know their space needs organizing. Try these tips for managing a messy roommate:  

1. For a subtle approach, try modeling. If you want your roommate to be organized, you should reflect this organization with your belongings. Ensure that your designated space is orderly, and don’t be afraid to clean in front of your roommate (but don’t clean up their messes!). This demonstration of keeping organized may inspire your roommate to begin a similar habit.  
  1. If modeling is not enough, try leaving polite notes for your roommate. For example, a dry-erase board with a list of chores or tasks in a communal space can serve as a subtle reminder to your roommate that they need to be tidier. Another alternative is leaving handwritten notes in communal spaces. Something as simple as writing “the vacuum goes in the hall closet” or “keep all the board games next to the TV” followed with “thank you” or “I appreciate it” can be enough to make your roommate aware of their disarray. 
  1. If more subtle ways to not prompt your roommate to stay organized, it is time for a face-to-face discussion. Ensure that you are polite and not accusatory. Try giving suggestions alongside your critiques, and be sure to let your roommate know how their behavior makes you feel. If the situation escalates or becomes hostile, talk to the RA in your dorm and, if necessary, see about a room change.  

Question 3: I’m a freshman this year, and I’ve been having trouble making friends. How do I find people like me on campus? 

Having trouble making new friends at college is a common experience. For extroverted individuals, meeting new people can be a fun challenge. For introverts, finding new friends can cause anxiety and discomfort. However, both experiences are valid. In each situation, joining campus organizations can make the social transition into college easier. Campus organizations unite students of similar interests with common goals, providing a place for beneficial action and genuine friendships. FSU student organizations include:  

• Affinity groups, such as Falcons with PRIDE and the Black Student Union 
  • The Student Government Association (SGA) 
  • Honor societies, such as Alpha Phi Sigma and Psi Chi 
  • Major-related groups, such as the Behavioral Health Association (BHA) and National Security and Intelligence Student Association (NSISA) 
  • STEAM groups, such as the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and First2 Network 
  • Special interest groups, such as the Creative Sustainability Council and the Masquers 
  • Spiritual/religious groups, such as Chi Alpha and Younglife  

To see a complete list of the student organizations on campus, click here. Finding one or more student organizations that explore your interests can be a great first step to finding like-minded individuals looking for friends. Joining a student organization can also give you a sense of purpose aside from obtaining a degree. Depending on the type of organization you join, you can also benefit from personal development or internship/scholarship opportunities.  

If you’re interested in more general student activities on campus, consult the student life calendar here. This will tell you about all the upcoming student events, including those hosted by student organizations. To start your journey to finding lifelong friends, pick one or two events and try to attend. While there, introduce yourself to others and watch your connections grow!  

To submit questions to Falcons Helping Falcons, scan this QR code or click here.