The Student News Site of Fairmont State University

The Columns

• Next Pitch Meeting: March 7 @ 4:00pm in JH 301!

The Columns

78°

The Columns

Level Up with the Fairmont State Gaming and E-Sports Club!

The Fairmont State Gaming and E-sports Club is a special interest and social organization that provides a safe and supportive community for anyone with an interest in gaming. Recreational or competitive, multiplayer or solo, or even if you just like the soundtracks, this club is the best place for gamers try new things and network in a fun, causal setting. Curious about the gaming community but do not know where to start? As President Zachary Kamp says, “If you are interested thing related to gaming, even if you don’t think it’s for you, come visit us or join the Discord. There is something there for everyone!” Vice President Jordan Brown agrees, “Even if you are not a gamer, you are bound to find something you like. It might just be the community that pulls you in.” All types of games (within reason) are embraced and explored by the club, from competitive Rocket League to casual Animal Crossing or Stardew Valley. Should your interest be in the music tracks, game design, watching video game streams, or other non-playing video game involvements, there is a place in the community for you.

Following the completion and opening of the Fairmont State E-sports Lab, the Fairmont State Gaming and E-sports club has plans to become more active and involved on campus. Next fall will see a multitude of gaming opportunities such as casual tournaments of select games, collaborative/team gaming events like Jackbox or co-op videogames, and more opportunities for e-sports. The new E-sports Lab boasts ten high-powered gaming PCs that are preloaded with games such as Call of Duty: Warzone, as well as a collection of console options including an Xbox with Game Pass, a PS4, and a Nintendo Switch. The organization also owns a Minecraft server which is open to all students, the sign-up sheet to gain access to the server is available in the Fairmont State Gaming and E-sports Discord Server! The Fairmont State E-sports Lab is open to all of our university students. Located in Bryant Place Room 604, the best way to access the lab is by entering through the Bryant Place bridge doors and taking a right at the mailboxes in the lobby. The

E-sports Lab will be the first door on your right past the bathrooms. While availability is subject to change, the current opening hours are Monday and Wednesday 11am-10pm, Tuesday 12pm-10pm, Thursday 3pm-10pm, Friday 10am-4pm/7pm-10pm, Saturday 1pm-8pm, and Sunday 1pm-7pm. If you have any questions regarding the E-sports Lab, please email Cody Haskiell at [email protected].

If you are interested in learning more about The Fairmont State Gaming and E-sports club, email President Zachary Kamp at [email protected] or Vice President Jordan Brown at [email protected]. Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month at 6pm in the E-sports Lab, also known as Room 604 in Bryant Place. April 23 will be the last meeting of the spring; meetings will resume during the Fall 2024 semester. To get connected with information on the organization, gaming discussions, competition information, e-sports teams, and general community conversation, join the organization’s Discord at https://dis-cord.com/invite/Zg84fT6m3v. Special thanks to Zachary Kamp and Jordan Brown, the President and Vice President of The Fairmont State Gaming and Esports club, for interviewing with The Columns to allow for the creation of this article.