The Student News Site of Fairmont State University

The Columns

• Next Pitch Meeting: March 7 @ 4:00pm in JH 301!

The Columns

82°

The Columns

FSU Student Organizations Offer Enrichment For Students Academically and Professionally

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) is a major-focused student organization here at Fairmont State University that provides developing mechanical engineers with opportunities to hone their abilities, invitations to networking events with professional engineers, and other valuable resources to enter the engineering field with a headstart. Members work with their fellow engineering students, alongside faculty like Dr. Hugh Costello and Dr. Tabitha Lafferre and other creative mathematics organizations like The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and The American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS), to push the limits of their skills while helping the wider Fairmont State STEAM community in any way they can. With the main goal being to secure mechanical engineering students internships and connections in the industry outside of campus, ASME is an invaluable resource to those engineering students looking for a leg-up and a stellar example of a how being involved in the right student organizations can further your personal and career goals.

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers serves the engineering student community of Fairmont State University in a multitude of ways, such as participating in events across campus and working within the STEAM community to promote active participation in one’s major in ways that will benefit their future careers. ASME hosts resume building workshops and mock interviews to facilitate professional growth and development for students. Industry professionals are looking for interns who have good communication skills and can prove that they are able to handle the professional realm, so having an excellent resume and interview practice can make the difference in earning that internship. Events that ASME has been involved with include, but are not limited to Trunk or Treat, Maroon and White Day, and Baja Racing.

President Eliza Keener encourages everyone to get involved on campus, both inside your majors and with the larger community. “Building connections now, as students, is important for your future career,” She said. Joining organizations that focus on skills like resume or CV improvement, interview skills, networking, off-campus professional development, business visits, and more are crucial to entering the workforce after graduation with your best foot forward. If you are not an engineering student, check out Presence or the Student Organization list at fairmontstate.edu to see if Fairmont State University offers a club like The American Society of Mechanical Engineers for your major. Come visit the clubs and student organizations on April 13 from 11:30am-1:30pm for the Maroon and White Day Registered Student Organizations (RSO) fair to learn more and discover what student organization is right for you!

If you are interested in learning more about The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, email President Eliza Keener at [email protected]. You can find The American Society of Mechanical Engineers on Instagram at @fairmontstateasme or come to visit a meeting! Meetings are held weekly on Tuesdays at 12:30pm in Room 303 of the Engineering Technology Building. Requirements to join ASME include being a current engineering student and a registered member of The American Society of Mechanical Engineers professional organization. Being a mechanical engineer is not required, the organization is open to all members of the engineering department. Involvement in meetings and events is expected for members. Special thanks to Eliza Keener, President of The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, for interviewing with Columns to allow for the creation of this article.