The Student News Site of Fairmont State University

The Columns

• Next Pitch Meeting: March 7 @ 4:00pm in JH 301!

The Columns

80°

The Columns

The Benefits of Academic Accommodations

College work can be daunting, especially if one has a disability which can make it even harder. Luckily there are procedures that can be taken to help ease the burden of a disability. It is possible to get accommodation through the university to help make the college experience less daunting for an individual living with a disability.

Some reasons people get accommodations are ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, and many other mental illnesses. Legally the university must have accommodations available for students who struggle academically. Professors also must legally comply with the accommodations.

To obtain an accommodation, you should get in contact with Accessibility Services. The number and email to contact are both on the Accessibility Service page on the Fairmont State website, as well as lists of resources.

Some accommodations are extended time to take tests, alternative forms of textbooks, note taking assistance, sign language interpreters, and readers. It’s important to note that due date extensions are not typically allowed on this campus as an accommodation. The accessibility office can be found at 303-O Turley Center.

Some good information to know about is that a request for accommodations must be made at the beginning of a semester, and cannot be applied retroactively. Accommodations also differ from class to class. A lab based class won’t need a note taker, or a lecture based class won’t need longer tests. Some accommodations help by making a timed test unlimited or being able to take the test alone.

There are a few things you need in order to get an accommodation. One such thing is documentation. This documentation must include a diagnosis from a medical doctor or health provider. You also need medical documentation with results of tests, such as eye exams and hearing tests. All of which need to be completed by a medical professional. Online registration must also be completed.

This process is thorough but entirely worth the help it offers. The difference between graduating college and dropping out can be saved with the right accommodations. And don’t be afraid to reach out! Accessibility Services are always there to help anyone in need.

There are also accommodations for individuals with hearing problems, proving that the accommodations aren’t always for a person with a learning disability. Translators are offered by these accessibility services and can help a person with hearing loss in their day-to-day academics.

Service animals are also registered through this process. The university’s policy for animal’s state that they can either be service animals or an ESA (emotional support animal). In my experience I found on campus is that most ESAs are cats, and most service animals are dogs. To get an ESA, one must get a doctor’s letter stating a reason as to why the individual should be allowed to have the animal. This means that there must be a medical reason to have the ESA. Service animals are apart of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act,) and therefore covered by accommodations.

Having accommodations on campus is very important for the accessibility for all students to succeed. Don’t hesitate to get accommodations if you feel you need them, they are there to help anyone. They can be a tremendous help, and definitely the difference between graduating and dropping out.

For more information visit their website: https://www.fairmontstate.edu/student-services/accessibility/default.aspx