The Student News Site of Fairmont State University

The Columns

• Next Pitch Meeting: March 7 @ 4:00pm in JH 301!

The Columns

73°

The Columns

Why Self Care is Important to Freshmen

Going to college is a very big step that many find overwhelming. Not only are incoming freshmen leaving home—often for the first time—but they are also thrown into new social circles. Learning to balance friendships, downtime, and schoolwork can be hard at first. Ultimately, college can take a toll on mental health. Luckily, there are a variety of resources available to students on campus, such as academic accommodations, mental health services, and many tips I can share in this column.  

My first tip for regulating mental health is to express what’s going on, whether it be in a journal or in person, like with a therapist or trusted friend. It’s important not to internalize the struggles you are going through. It’s also important for an individual to know that they aren’t alone. Reaching out can be as simple as a text. Reaching out to a therapist when applicable is also a good idea. The Student Health Center is a great place to talk with a therapist. The Health and Wellness Center is located on the third floor of the Falcon Center. 

Another good resource is talking to your Resident Assistant, they’re here to help their residents succeed. An RA could help with roommate trouble, be a person to disclose issues too, or just be a shoulder to cry on. Every RA would like to see you do good. It’s important to note that your RA is a mandated reporter, which means they have to report certain things. RA’s must report anything they deem a threat to oneself or others. 

In addition to these resources, staying involved on campus can be beneficial. Fairmont State always has events happening across campus, whether it’s arts and crafts or a bingo night, something is happening almost weekly. These opportunities are great for making friends and meeting fellow falcons. Almost every event is free to students. There are even trips to places like Hershey Park and Kennywood for free.  

Meeting new people and making friends is vital to good mental health. Going to events and participating will almost certainly lead to friendships. Don’t be afraid to speak to classmates too, especially people who have the same major. Making friends with people of the same major as you can be very beneficial in the long run. Depending on how big your major is, it’s likely you could have classes together and could help each other out. 

If the stress of classes becomes too much, make sure you communicate with your professor. I cannot stress this enough; almost every good professor will try their hardest to help you succeed, so long as you put in an effort. If things get to be too much, or if you are falling behind and struggling, please reach out to your instructor. 

Official accommodations can be made for students with disabilities. Such accommodations can be extended due dates, longer time for exams, a physical copy of lectures, and so much more. Accommodations can be made by contacting the student accessibility center. 

Going to college can feel lonely and daunting, but I promise that you aren’t alone. Know that there are many opportunities to make friends and improve one’s mental health. Help is always one conversation away! Be it an RA, friend, or therapist, there’s always someone willing to listen. That’s what being a Falcon is about—compassion and helping others.