Madness is Almost Here 

As we start the week of February the 14th, we are officially four weeks away from March Madness. March Madness is one of the biggest events each year in United States, and for NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) basketball. It was canceled in 2020 due to Covid-19 being introduced to everybody and things had to be shut down fast. It has been almost twyears since the last March Madness and I think the excitement is looming in the air. 

Since it has been two years it can be easy to forget that March Madness is one of the most exciting events of the year. It comes during a time where there aren’t many other sports on TV like baseball and football, so this college basketball event has the spotlight. March Madness in 2019 averaged about 10.5 million viewers each game throughout the tournament. With a total of 67 games being played in the tournament, those are whopping numbers.  

Many college students are able to get involved in the tournament, whether they want to show campus spirit for their own team, or to cheer for their team from back home. Filling out a bracket with a winning team is one of the most popular things to do17.2 million brackets were filled out for the 2019 tournament challenge with ESPN. The students here at Fairmont State are encouraged to get involved in the fun. 

The NCAA tournament starts on March 18th and the championship game will be on April 5th.  Fairmont State students on campus will have the chance to tune into the games as they will be broadcasted live on CBS, TBS, TNT, and True TV. Students and anybody interested can fill out a March Madness Tournament Challenge bracket on ESPN, Brackets will be available on March 14th. The games will also be streamed on the March Madness live app so that they don’t miss a beat during the tournament.