The Student News Site of Fairmont State University

The Columns

• Next Pitch Meeting: March 7 @ 4:00pm in JH 301!

The Columns

81°

The Columns

Lovebird Book Reviews: Holiday Reads

Hello readers! Welcome to Lovebird Book Reviews where I, Avary King, review/recommend the latest and greatest of everyone’s favorite genre: romance. This is a spoiler FREE zone!

Well, well, well readers it’s that time of year again. Sing it with me, “It’s the most stressful time of the year!!” The air smells a little different on campus these last few weeks.. Maybe it’s the changing temperature, or maybe it’s the smell of cough drops and Vicks Vapor rub because everyone you know is sick or has been sick. Maybe it’s the aroma of holiday joy bubbling up in all of us, or maybe it’s the stress pheromones wafting in the air from every single person on campus. Because for college students, that magnificent holiday joy comes with a price. We must sacrifice time, energy, and our very last sliver of sanity to break the chains of our shackles and enjoy the holidays. That Thanksgiving turkey doesn’t just cost us 1.27$ a pound, oh no, that turkey costs us the blood, sweat, and tears that go into those dreaded final exams, papers, and projects. We earn every last drop of warm hot chocolate and every bite of delectable holiday cookies. All of this talk of cookies and turkey has me hungry. You know one of my favorite things about the holidays is that people from all walks of life can be brought together by food. Family members you haven’t seen in a year or family members you see every day all gather around to celebrate the joy of being together. No matter what holidays you partake in, everyone can enjoy getting together with the people they love and creating memories over dinner. So as this is my final article for the semester, I want to leave you with a few books I will be reading over Thanksgiving and Winter break. These books are perfect for everyone because these books don’t celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or any other specific holiday. These books celebrate something that we can all celebrate, food! However, wherever you celebrate by sharing food I am sure these books will have you ready to compete on the Great British Bake Off in no time. So, grab a cupcake and throw some marshmallows in some hot chocolate, and let’s allow these books to carry us to some holiday season joy. The stress will pass, let’s finish this semester strong so that we may enjoy our victory break! 

Before you go on, I’d like to take a moment to say a quick thank you to everyone who has read or continued to support my article this semester, it means the world to me! Thank you to my editor Adam for helping me grow as a writer and thanks to the rest of the Columns Staff! See you next semester!

Friend me on GoodReads! https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/52528664-avary-king

DISCLAIMER: Read at your own risk! Some of the books that I recommend mention or talk about sensitive subjects that could be considered triggering for some individuals.

For Butter or Worse

For Butter or Worse: A Rom Com (The... by La Rosa, Erin

Author: Erin La Rosa 

Page Number: 368

Release Date: July 26th, 2022

Genre: Romance, fiction, Contemporary 

Read the description for For Butter or Worse here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59040889-for-butter-or-worse?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=1wRWzY1hbi&rank=1

Love From Scratch         

Love from Scratch by Hill, Kaitlyn

Author: Kaitlyn Kill

Page Number: 368

Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Fiction, Contemporary

Release Date: April 5th, 2022

Read the description for Love from Scratch: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54629993-love-from-scratch?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=V7o4HaiUmz&rank=1

Fake It Till You Bake it

Fake It Till You Bake It by Wesley, Jamie                         

Author: Jamie Wesley

Page Number: 336

Genre: Adult fiction, Romance, Contemporary 

Release Date: June 21st, 2022

Read the description for Fake It Till You Bake It  here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58724876-fake-it-till-you-bake-it?ref=nav_sb_ss_1_12