The Student News Site of Fairmont State University

The Columns

• Next Pitch Meeting: March 7 @ 4:00pm in JH 301!

The Columns

69°

The Columns

Freshman Year 101 – How To Get Involved on Campus

Freshman year of college can be a fun but terrifying experience. University life is quite different from high school culture, work culture, and home life. Students are required to live on campus for their first two years of college, unless they have met the conditions to opt out, so the residence halls are typically full of people exploring their newfound freedom as adults and making the most of their higher education experience. One of the best ways to get involved on campus is by attending events, joining clubs, and getting to know the society of Fairmont State University. 

The first people you really get to meet as a freshman on campus are your roommates. People have had many opinions on roommates throughout the years, and no two experiences are ever the same. People can always clash, and sometimes things do not work out. However, if you develop a good relationship with your roommate or roommates, you have a built-in friend right here on campus with you! Sometimes taking that first step and making your first new friend is all you need to kickstart your journey, as having a friend to fall back on makes exploring campus a hundred times easier. One way to build a connection with your roommate/roommates or others you want to get to know better is to attend a program hosted by a Residential Assistant (RA). These events typically take place in the dorms and are free for students, meaning it is a quick, easy, and efficient opportunity for students to bond over activities and discussions. Upcoming events in Bryant Place include Rock On! with RA Torrie on September 19th, Vision Boarding with RA Quinn on September 18th, and Cultural Jeopardy with RA Sean on September 15th. Each residence hall will have their own events posted, so take a look at the bulletin boards for up-to-date events and important announcements. Residential Assistants are always willing to direct you to other events happening on campus as well, so if a program does not pique your interest maybe a university event will! 

Outside of the dorms, Fairmont State campus is bursting at the seams with various types of events. Every student and university organization hosts a plethora of meetings, discussions, and fun activities to provide a stimulating social environment for students and the surrounding community. During Welcome Week alone there were over 25 different presentations and events held for the incoming freshman, including our Affinity Groups hosting their first community discussion of the semester. The Black Student Union, Falcons with PRIDE, and Global Falcons each had an informational meeting, welcoming students who fall under their umbrella as well as allies to our inclusive campus. You may also have met some of the representatives of our many clubs during the Welcome Weekend Registered Student Organizations Recruitment event, where clubs set up tables with information regarding their organization. If you did not get a chance to visit the tables to grab flyers, free items, and chat with our devoted organization members, there is another chance Oct. 14 during Maroon and White Day! Many types of student groups exist on campus as well other than the affinity groups, ranging from religious organizations like Chi Alpha, our nondenominational Christian worship group, to major related clubs like American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS) and American Society for Civil Engineers (ASCE) for architecture and engineering students respectively, to special interest groups like the Creative Sustainability Council (CSC). In addition to our student organizations, Fairmont also hosts a collection of Greek Life members! For the full list of registered student organizations, fraternities and sororities, visit: https://www.fairmontstate.edu/student-life/student-organizations/default.aspx. Never be afraid to talk to or join in with a club here on campus, the organizations here are friendly and will be happy to see you at events and around campus. For almost any topic you can think of, there is a club or organization for it. If there is ever a club you wish existed that does not already, you can always start one yourself!  

Taking that first step into getting involved on campus can be tough, and it can take a while before you are ready to interact with the wider community of Fairmont State University. Whether it takes you three days, three weeks, or three months, there will always be events scheduled and ready for you to join. Every freshman heard it a million times during orientation and their first week of classes, but it is true that there are tons of people here who want you to be your best self and succeed in whatever you put your mind to. Take your time, take deep breaths, and move at the pace that suits you the best. Never feel pressured to do anything you do not want to do and seek out people who will support you. Clubs and organizations can be those people, often becoming a micro-community that sticks with you from the day you step into college until the day you graduate, sometimes longer depending on your involvement! From all the clubs and organizations on campus, we wish you a great semester and hope to see you around campus soon!