Library Spotlight

Library+Spotlight

On Fairmont State University’s campus, students and staff members alike can find almost everything they need to succeed and fulfill their academic journey. The Ruth Ann Musick Library is one of the most expansive collections of resources and academic material available at Fairmont State. The library is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 am-10 pm, Friday from 7:30 am-4 pm, and Sunday from 2 pm-10 pm. According to their website, the library’s mission is: The Ruth Ann Musick Library on the campus of Fairmont State University provides access to scholarly resources, provides spaces for collaboration and study, and works with faculty and students in the discovery, use, and management of information in order to support the curriculum and facilitate lifelong learning. The wonderful staff members of the library, like Charley Hively, Jacki Sherman, Ashley Dover, and many others, work hard to make the Ruth Ann Musick library a center of study and enrichment, just as FSU intended.

The First floor is the most general, allowing more noise than upper levels and containing community amenities. On this floor, there is a Starbucks, the Information Technology (IT) center, and an assortment of seating areas ideal for meetings or group projects. The Circulation Desk, the Textbook Reserve Shelf, printers, reservable study rooms, and the supply counter occupy the remaining sections of this floor. The Circulation Desk always has a librarian on duty, so it is the best place to ask questions if you need assistance or check out the textbooks from the reserve shelf. This level also contains the presentation-style auditoriums, room MMA and MMB. These rooms host various club meetings and events like the Registered Student Organization (RSO) meetings or the Discussion on Race event presented by the Black Student Union.

The Second floor is a small-group-focused center, permitting quiet conversation and discussion. Most of this level is dominated by a lab of 40+ computers and the collection of study tables. The Help Desk is located just across the stairway entrance and is ready to help with anything related to the area, like borrowing a board game for use in the Falcon Gaming zone or to check out. The Game area is perfect for Dungeons & Dragons campaigns and game nights hosted by the library every other Monday. The DVD collection is impressive, with 5000+ titles and growing available for check-out. The last portion of this floor is dedicated to the Learning Enrichment and Development (LEAD) Center, a free peer tutoring service that any student can book an appointment using Navigate. The LEAD Center’s hours are Monday 9 am-6 pm, Tuesday from 9:30 am-6:30 pm, Wednesday 9 am-7:30 pm, Thursday 10 am-6 pm, and Friday by appointment only from 9 am-2 pm.

The Third floor is an independent-study level, requiring silence or very low noise. Most of the area is a collection of single workspaces and comfy reading spots interspaced among the shelves of reference materials and information archives. Also on this floor is the Hupp Skylab, a computer lab classroom with an amazing view, and the Young Adult/Kids section. Tucked against the back wall is a Lightbox, a small device that produces simulated natural light. This is used for phototherapy and other forms of practicing mental wellness. The false sunlight causes chemical changes in the brain that enhance one’s mood and eases other symptoms of mental illnesses like depression.

The Ruth Ann Musick Library’s website is a valuable access point to databases, library amenities, and keeping up-to-date about all the current programs in the building. The main page is cleanly organized, with links, articles, and others for easy access. Students can reserve study rooms and get citation help under Library Services, access E-books and the University’s database list under Research Tools, find updated hours for the building, and much more. 

Overall, the Ruth Ann Musick Library is a valuable resource for all students and worth visiting. Events hosted by the library this semester include the Annual Egg Hunt from April 3-7th and National Library Week April 24-28th, including displays of student works. To contact the library’s Circulation Desk, call (304) 367-4733, or for Reference assistance, call (304) 367-4121.