How to Stay Motivated After Spring Break

The Columns hopes that everyone had a nice and relaxing Spring Break! One of the biggest struggles after coming back from spring break is students staying motivated. Sometimes it is not even just motivation, but other priorities that students may have to compete with both their attention and time. When taking a week off from most priorities, we get a little out of our regular routine, which makes it a bit harder to just jump back in. Luckily, we have a few tips for students who may have a difficult time getting back into the swing of things. 

Go to class 

Going to class will be one of the easiest ways to get back into regular motivation. This will keep students up to date on everything going on inside of the class like what they’re going over, assignments, projects, and future test/exam dates. If students attend class virtually, they must make sure to pay attention and stay focused on what is being discussed in the classroom. Attending class will also allow them to ask any questions they may have or for help that they might need. Doing this will also help build a connection with a professor, who will feel more than happy to help the student stay on track. 

Create goals for the rest of the semester 

Now I am not talking about a huge list of overall goals, but I would encourage that as well. Making a daily or weekly to-do list can help students stay on track and will help them know what they still need to do for that day or week. Plus, who doesn’t like marking things they have accomplished off lists? Daily lists will make planning the day ahead easier than scrambling for time and not knowing where to start. Weekly lists could have things that students could prepare for in the future days to come. Once students start creating goals and to-do lists, it will keep them on track easier and could even help with procrastination.  

Find support 

Even if nobody is talking about it, most everyone is at least a little sluggish getting back into their normal routines. Finding friends who are also struggling with this could allow students to help keep each other motivated. Creating study times with a friend will let you both hold each other accountable. This person could potentially help you through more than just schoolwork as well. Whether it be homework, studying, staying active, or even eating, having support will keep students healthy and on a roll. 

Reward yourself 

It is always a good thing to remind students that they can only take and do so much. A full semester is anywhere from 15-17 weeks, so sometimes it can become easy to get drained or burnt out. Continuous drainage and burnout may lead students to procrastinate and not stay motivated. JMC Academy wrote that “connecting a reward to a period of effective study not only gives you a mental break but will motivate you to want to study effectively the next time.” This reward should be something that the student is interested in and excited to do because it is still important to have fun, even when you’re getting an education. 

Stay healthy 

One last tip that is very important to keep students motivated is to make sure they are eating and staying active! Research has shown that students are able to learn better when they’re well-nourished. It can help their memory, attention span, and will give them the energy they need for the day. Exercising or staying active is important because it can improve and support students’ emotional and mental well-being. Taking a daily walk on the indoor track in the Falcon Center is a perfect way to stay active, but don’t forget that there is also a gym if there is anyone who would want to do more than just walk. 

Overall, staying motivated after Spring Break is extremely important because it is the last stretch before the end of the semester. Everything that you have done all year will lead up to this end of the school year moment. By going to class, creating goals, finding support, rewarding yourself, and staying healthy, students are guaranteed to finish out the school year with a bang! It just takes that student wanting to succeed in their semester and putting action to get results. We wish everyone the best of luck for the rest of the Spring semester.