Student Spotlight: Maya Rusnak

This week’s Student Spotlight is Maya Rusnak, a junior with an Exercise Science major and psychology minor. She attended Padua Franciscan High School, located in Cleveland, Ohio, where she was a part of their Ambassador Program and involved in the Spanish Club. There are many reasons Maya chose to make Fairmont State her new home for the past few years. Maya is one of the three goal keepers for Fairmont’s women’s soccer team, as well as a Dean’s List and Academic Honors student. We are honored to have her as our Student Spotlight this week and glad she accepted the opportunity to show herself in the spotlight. 

So far, Sports Psychology with Dr. Richard West has been Maya’s favorite class at Fairmont State. In this class, Dr. West demonstrates the importance of how participation in sports and physical activity affects individuals and groups. It also allowed her to understand how psychological factors can affect performance when it comes to being an athlete. “His use of hands-on activities encouraged fun while actively learning at the same time. For me, I found this information extremely valuable not only for my intended profession, but as a student athlete.” Maya had said when talking about Dr. West’s Sports Psychology class. 

Why Fairmont State?” you may ask. Maya chose the university because she loved the environment and the way in which it and the Women’s Soccer Program expressed the importance of the concept of family. “My teammates and former teammates have become my forever friends and will continue to have a lasting impact on my life,” she said. Maya is extremely grateful and feels that Fairmont provides great educational opportunities that help point her in the right direction. 

When I reached out to Maya about being selected for Student Spotlight, she expressed that she truly feels honored to have been selected and was caught by surprise. She knew this was an opportunity she could not pass up! Post-graduation, she will either pursue a career in Sports Psychology or further her education to become a Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist. We wish Maya luck as her journey with Fairmont State continues and hope the best for her after graduation. We also want to thank her for her willingness to take part in our Student Spotlight! Until next time.  

Maya Rusnak