Student Spotlight: Zach Wolford

There are many different things that make up a person and their life, which is why I have decided to start our Student Spotlight series back up. It is important for FSU to show off their love and appreciation for their students. To me, Student Spotlight is the perfect way to show off a student for the week. We want to know what made our students choose to get an education at Fairmont State, and what they have enjoyed and accomplished while they have been working towards their degrees. The first Student Spotlight of the Spring 2022 semester is Zach Wolford. He is currently a senior working to get his under-grad in Occupational Safety. 

Zach has said he does not typically get recognized much, and although it may feel a bit weird for him, he highly appreciates being selected. Making decisions on which college is best for students can be overwhelming but exciting at the same time. There are things to consider like if they have the program you want to partake in, sports or academic scholarship offers, how close you are to friends and family, and population (if you want bigger or smaller classes). When weighing out college options, he decided to become a Falcon to be close to home. “I went to high school down the street from the college and I wanted to stay local and close to friends and family,” he said. 

Everyone has or has had a favorite class or professor throughout their time in school. Some professors make such an impact on their students that they almost become like a friend. They oversee the class but do not mind helping in any way they can, even if it is explaining something three times in three diverse ways to help somebody understand. Zach has two professors and multiple classes that are his favorite. “My favorite class I’ve taken is any safety class with Professor Chapman and Professor Hefferin. Both professors have come from good backgrounds in the safety field, and I’ve learned a lot from both.” 

The greatest accomplishment Zach said he has had so far is getting an internship at the First Energy Fort Mountain Power Station. It was a great opportunity to get hands-on experience in the safety field. Not everyone has a plan for when they graduate, but for Zach, he will be enlisting into the Air Force. “I personally don’t know what I want to do in life, however I want to join the Air Force to get out of the state and experience the real world.” I want to take a moment to thank Zach Wolford for giving us the opportunity to show him off in the Student Spotlight, and wish him nothing but good luck and success in his last year as an FSU Falcon. 

Zach Wolford