How to Get Through Finals

Final’s week can be one of the most stressful times for students. We know we have a lot to do, but often do not know where to start. This stress can be worsened by the pressure of both inner and outer sources and poor coping techniques. There are many different techniques and tips that can help students make finals less stressful for themselves. First and foremost, would be figuring out the student’s exam schedule. Fairmont State has already released their four day exam schedule, students can find it by clicking here.

After students figure out what days and times their exams are, they can start coming up with a game plan. Having a game plan will leave students no room to stress, because they can decide what they need to work on and when they will be starting it. If they know what all needs to get done and how much time they must complete it, this will make it easier to at least get started on planning. I find it easiest to make a list of all the things that need done and the dates they need done by. After making the list, I organize it so that I know what to handle first. Then decide what days need studying and what days need final assignment completion. Doing these first few steps can take away the stress of having so much that students do not know where to start.

I cannot stress this enough, STUDY, and I do not mean cramming! While cramming may work for some students, it does not always provide the same results as taking time to study. Students should take some time out of their week to study for their exams. Start by creating a designated study space, preferably not around anything that can be distracting. The library is always a perfect option when it comes to a quiet distraction-free zone. Students can even create study groups so that they can talk through notes and help each other out.

Students do not forget to eat and sleep! Save yourself from the procrastination as well. Procrastination always leads to doing everything last minute, leaving no time to eat or sleep before exams. Eating right the night before and the morning before exams is very important. Healthy brain food will help students feel less drowsy and it will be easier to concentrate. Sleep is also important because it helps our brains consolidate what we’ve learned in the day. Learning when students are not well rested can be tricky because their concentration levels are not as high. Sleep also gives us more energy to carry on throughout our days.

Last but certainly not least, students please do not forget “me time.” This can be very hard if schedules are jam-packed, but this is also why we should not procrastinate. We need time to take little breaks here and there. Our brains can only take in so much information before it starts to get overloaded. Within these breaks, do something relaxing. It can be as simple as taking a bath, working on a hobby, or even just watching a TV show. Move around and exercise the body a bit. Jogging, jumping jacks, yoga, weightlifting, or even having a little dance party can release dopamine in the brain in which can increase moods and concentration. Stay positive. Instead of focusing on negative “what if’s,” focus on the positive ones.

Students, even remembering that grades do not define you can help with confidence. If you are trying and doing your best, that is all that matters. Even if things do not go as expected, and we did not get the grades we wanted, do not ponder on the thought! Focus on the successes and good qualities you have, and remember that no matter what, life goes on, and you will be okay! Weeks like these can be extremely stressful and overwhelming, that is why it is so important to take care of yourself in the midst of everything. Good luck students, we are only one more week away from the semester ending, you’ve got this!

For extended library hours during finals week, please follow this link.