Fairmont State Wrestling Team Heads to Super Regionals 

The Fairmont State wrestling team departed campus this morning in route to Erie, Pennsylvania to compete in this year’s Super Regional tournament. The tournament is being hosted at Mercyhurst University on Sunday starting at 10 a.m.  

The Super Regional tournament isperhaps, the teams last competition of the year, barring if a wrestler wins the tournament resulting in a bid to the National tournament in St. Louis on March 13th. The number of qualifiers has shrunk from its standard three to one in attempt to limit crowding at the national tournament. 

The five other universities competing in the tournament are as follows: Gannon, Mercyhurst, Pittsburgh Johnstown, American International University, and Seton Hill.  

Each wrestler is eager to punch their ticket to the national tournament resulting in a recipe for high tensions as well as excitement.  

“This what we’ve been working for, it’s time to go all in this weekendIt’s been a tough year having to jump through hoops just to compete but none of that matters now. It’s time to take the hard-work to the bank and cash it out.” said heavyweight Senior Tj Boyd. 

Fairmont State is bringing eight wrestlers. Listed below are each of the wrestler’s names and weight classes.  

141: FreshmanNoah Kiszka 

149: JuniorLuke Martin  

157: Freshman, Taven Swick 

165: Sophomore, Davey Munday  

174: Senior, Cade Moisey  

184: Senior, Corey Hupp 

197: Senior, John Halajian 

285: Senior, Tj Boyd  

This is head coach Colin Johnston’s first regional tournament with the Falcons and is hoping to coach Fairmont State’s first national qualifier as well as his own.  

Luke Martin, a Fairmont State Junior, is undefeated for the season and has secured the number one seed this weekend as the resultbut he didn’t sound entirely too satisfied. “It’s cool to get a little recognition, but seeding has never really meant much to me. I’m still going in with the same mindset regardless of what my seed is,” said Martin. 

Students can see the results of the tournament as they are updated real-time on TrackWrestling.com The live stream link can be found there as well.