Get To Know – Matthew Barrish

“GET TO KNOW” FEATURES: Throughout the fall 2020 semester the Fairmont State Athletics Department will be posting “get to know” features to allow fans, donors, parents, and fellow student-athletes to get to know members of the 17 athletics programs at Fairmont State University. For today’s feature, we sat down with men’s golf standout Matthew BarrishBarrish earned second team All-MEC accolades following his freshman season in 2019-20. 
Why did you choose Fairmont State? 

“Originally, when I was in high school, I wasn’t really sure where I was going to go. I came down and toured WVU and Fairmont State. Ever since I stepped foot on campus at Fairmont State, I loved it. It was a place that felt like home to me. Also, I wanted to play college golf and I wanted to get into some kind of engineering program. Fairmont State gave me the opportunity to play golf on scholarship and they had a civil engineering academic program.” 

Can you tell me your story, about your family/friends and where you were raised? 

“My school and hometown were pretty small (Carmichaels, Pa.). I only graduated with about 70 people. I was raised in a Christian family. I grew up playing several of sports. Through high school I played golf, basketball, and baseball all four years. It was rural USA, however, it was a really nice place to grow up. I’m still friends with a lot of good people from high school and it’s only an hour away so anytime I need something I can just go home.” 

Biggest moment(s) or accomplishments so far on and off the course? 

“My biggest accomplishment so far in golf was that I was named second team All-MEC and that I qualified for all the tournaments that we played in last year before we got cut short by COVID-19. Off the course, my biggest accomplishment would be just succeeding in all my classes. And in Chi Alpha, being a ‘Life Group’ leader was really important for me. I feel like athletes these days have lost sight of Jesus.” 

Can you describe your relationships with coaches and teammates? 

“I love all the players and coaches to death. They are all great people. We all have the same goal of success, which goes for any sports team here at Fairmont and anywhere else. Everyone is willing to help each other out whether it be with schoolwork, on the course, or off the course. I am really just happy to be a part of the team. We are going to have an experienced and good team this year and I am really just hoping that we get to play in the spring.” 

What was it like to be a part of the team’s success as a freshman? 

“It was awesome just to have that experience as a freshman. After the first day [of the MEC Championship] we were in second. Just having that chance to fight for the Mountain East Conference Championship in the fall last year was awesome. I really enjoyed it with the guys. I just hope to build on that and use it as motivation because those last couple days as a team we stumbled a little bit. All of the tournaments really helped build my confidence. They showed me that I have what it takes, but I also want to take it to another level.” 

What are your expectations for this spring? 

“I have really high expectations and our coach definitely does and I think all the players do, too. So far, through this semester even though we haven’t really got to practice much together as a team, I think all of the guys have reached out to each other and have been working hard to get ready. We have a good team coming in, with three freshman and one transfer this year. All of us together can feed off of each other and we’re going to push each other in practice, and hopefully win a conference championship this season.” 

What does it mean for you to be a Falcon? 

“It means a lot. Not all kids or people get the opportunity to go to college and I have that opportunity, which I am very blessed to have. Also, to play a collegiate sport at any level is really a blessing that I have been given from God. It’s just a blessing to be given the ability to golf, and also being given the academic ability for school and classes. I’m just blessed to be a Falcon and that I get to do what I get to do here.” 

Major: Civil Engineering. Expected Graduation: Spring 2023. Future Plans? 

“I plan to be some type of engineer. I might like to be a highway engineer or something of that nature. I also like my surveying classes that I’m taking, so I may do some type of surveying.” 

Have you been able to stay engaged and connected with coaches and teammates during this time with the restrictions? 

“Yeah. I know most of the guys on the team on a personal level as friends. We’ve been playing off and on. We played throughout the summer in some tournaments together. We live close enough to each other that we can play pretty much whenever we want together. We also do Zoom calls when we can’t meet in person. We’ve also had get-togethers at the driving range with both the men’s and women’s teams. We’ve really been staying engaged a lot, although COVID-19 has really put a damper on in-person gatherings, etc.” 

Do you think the pandemic has made your experience any less meaningful as a student-athlete? 

“I don’t think it has made it less meaningful, but it just put a damper on what we may have been expecting this year as well as last spring. It was just kinda disheartening because we were excited to play golf. I especially feel bad for the freshman this year, not getting to do anything with golf. However, I think we are making the best out of the situation, trying to get better in classes, and on the course.” 

What has it been like for you as a student and person with online classes, masks, and social life? 

“It’s definitely been weird. I’ve kinda gotten used to the masks now to where if we didn’t have to wear masks for some reason, it would feel weird. Having to do online classes and a lot of online things was weird for me. I learn better when I’m in person listening to the professor, so I have kinda had to adapt to the changes that have come due to COVID-19. But it could be worse.” 

Activities/interests outside of school and sports? 

“I love the outdoors and any type of sport. I’m a leader for Chi Alpha and I really enjoy that. That really helps me to take a break from school and sports and clear my mind.” 

Can you describe what it has been like to be under the guidance of Coach Sarah Yost? 

“She’s a great coach. She’s a teaching professional for the PGA program so she really knows what she’s talking about. She also really knows how to push us. We’ve had this theme this year which is ‘Choose success.’ I really like that because during these times we could easily sit in our rooms, do nothing, and not get motivated to practice, workout, or do our school work. But, every day we need to choose success and look toward that goal of when we get back on the course we’re going to be ready. I really enjoy having her as a coach, and as just someone to talk to.” 

How motivated or anxious are you to perform right now? 

“Right now, it’s hard to get motivated because of the unknown with our season. However, my practice has gotten a lot better. I can’t wait until we start playing again. I’m anxious to know when the season is going to start.” 

Can you describe the culture of your team? 

“We’re a very close-knit team. We all get along well together. I think almost all the guys got to go on our trip to Pine Hurst over spring break right before the COVID-19 restrictions happened. We just hung out and got to know each other more and more. Each of us are willing to help each other, like maybe if they see something in our swing that’s causing us to not have as much success as we could have. Just that willingness to help each other really speaks volumes to how close we are as a team.” 

If there was one thing you want people to know about you, what would you say? 

“I would just have to say that I am a hard worker and a goal setter. I’m just focused on the task at hand. An overall value that I would like someone to hear is that you may be going through tough times, because everyone does, but it’s how you adapt and overcome in those trying times that matter. I want people to know that no hole is ever too deep to get out of and to just be relentless and resilient in everything that you do.”