Get To Know – Kamrin Weimer

“GET TO KNOW” FEATURES: Throughout the fall 2020 semester the Fairmont State Athletics Department will be posting “get to know” features to allow fans, donors, parents, and fellow student-athletes to get to know members of the 17 athletics programs at Fairmont State University. For today’s feature, we sat down with women’s basketball senior Kamrin Weimer. Weimer enters her senior year with the ninth-most 3-point field goals in Fairmont State history. 
Why did you choose Fairmont State? 

“I chose Fairmont State because it was close to home. I’m from Oakland, Maryland, so it’s only about an hour and a half from home and it was really important to me to have my family at my games. My first year I went to a school (Fairleigh Dickinson) that was six hours away and that was hard for me, not having my family there all the time. I also chose Fairmont because everyone is so welcoming. The people are so nice. It’s just a really good family atmosphere, and makes me feel at home.” 

What was the transition like going from Fairleigh Dickinson to Fairmont State? 

“Honestly the transition was really easy. I was worried about it only because transferring schools is really stressful. But, everybody here was so welcoming to me and I was automatically so much happier here. The transition was not what I expected it to be but I was pleasantly surprised.” 

Can you tell me your story, about your family and where you were raised? 

“I was raised out in the country. I live with my mom, dad and sister. My sister just recently moved out. She played basketball growing up and she also raced motocross with my dad. so there was always a super competitive atmosphere in my house. Growing up I was always willing to compete, always wanted to compete and always wanted to do something bigger and better than everyone else. I really wanted to play college basketball. My dad always pushed me to be better than I ever thought I could, and I eventually got a scholarship offer to play in college. I’m pretty much a little small town girl who had a big dream.” 

Biggest moment(s) on and off the court at Fairmont State? 

“Beating Glenville State the past two years I’ve been here has been a huge moment, just because they are always so good and are always so hard to beat.” 
Off the court, I’m going through nursing school right now and that has been super tough on me with basketball. I would say that my biggest moment(s) off the court is just succeeding thus far in school because it’s been such a transition and so much to do.” 

Can you describe some of your relationships with your teammates and coaches? 

“I live with Presley Tuttle and Erin Danik. So we are all super close. I moved in with them about halfway through my first year here at Fairmont. They are honestly my best friends. I’m also super close with Sierra Kotchman who I have grown to love. We are both super quiet so it took us awhile to warm up to each other but now we are really close.” 
“The coaches are amazing. I absolutely love Coach Stephanie and Coach Miki. They are both super understanding, but also you never want to disappoint them. Me and my teammates always want to give our all for them, and I feel like that is super important with success. As players you have to be willing to do whatever you have to do to please your coaches.” 

What has the transition been like having Stephanie Anderson and her brand new staff take over the reins to coach the team? 

“It’s been awesome. I love the energy and the passion that she brings. And, you can tell that she really cares about us as athletes and as people. It really sets a great atmosphere for you to give everything you have.” 

What has it been like for you personally having been coached by three different head coaches in your collegiate career? 

“It’s definitely broadened my horizons to different kinds of coaching. I’ve kinda seen it all and I have learned to respond to it all. I believe it is a good trait to have because if you are only coached one way your whole life, when you are opened up to a new way you can either accept or decline it. It’s been a good experience for me to be able to play under so many awesome coaches and learn so much.” 

How would you describe the culture of your team right now? 

“I love the culture of our team. I think we are building a culture that really holds each other accountable, not always waiting on your coach to tell you what you need to be doing, which I think is huge in a winning program. The culture is growing and it’s really fun to be around all those people that love the game just as much as you do. It makes you want to work just as hard as your teammates do.” 

What does it mean for you to be a Falcon? 

“It honestly means the world to me because I didn’t have this close-knit family at my old school, which makes me cherish it so much more. I absolutely love being a Falcon. It will stay with me forever. The people here have taught me so much about myself and they have helped me grow. I am forever thankful to be able to have the opportunity to be here.” 

What are your expectations for this spring? 

“I’m hoping to get to play. And, I’m really hoping to be able to make it to the NCAA Tournament and advance. My last two years I have been here we’ve lost in the first round of the MEC Tournament, and I do not want that to happen again. I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that doesn’t happen again.” 

How motivated or anxious are you to play right now? 

“We’re really ready to play. We haven’t had a whole lot of opportunities to practice because of the restrictions. It’s difficult not knowing when we will be on the floor together again versus another team. But, it also is motivating because you know at any point something could change and you have to be ready at all times.” 

Have you been able to stay engaged and connected with coaches and teammates during this time with restrictions? 

“Yes, we check in on each other a lot which is nice because, back to that culture, we try to hold everybody accountable to make sure everybody is doing everything on and off the court. We have stayed close and have had good communication.” 

Do you think the pandemic has made your experience as a student-athlete any less meaningful? 

“I would say it hasn’t made it any less meaningful, but it has made it more difficult because as student-athletes we are very routine oriented. We get in a routine and through all of this we have not been able to get into a routine.” 

What has it been like for you a student through the pandemic? (online classes, masks, social life) 

“It’s honestly been very strange. I feel like we have never really been just students. We’re so used to always having other obligations to go to, and we still do, but they are far and few between now. It’s a big adjustment to go all online and have to wear masks to class. It’s been hard but we’re making it through.” 

What do you think it is going to mean to you to take the court for the final time with your fellow seniors? 

“I’m really looking forward to it but it’s also so bittersweet. I love it here and I love the game. My fellow seniors are awesome. I love them all to death. It’s hard. I don’t want to it start because of that reason, but I also can’t wait to start the season with them.” 

Major: Nursing. Expected Graduation: Spring 2021. Future plans? 

“I’m hoping to become an OR nurse and start working after college.” 

Activities/interests outside of school and sports? 

“I spend time with my family and friends. I don’t really have a whole lot of hobbies.” 

If there was one thing you want people to know about you, what would it be? 

“Maybe that I’m not as quiet as I seem. I’m a hard person to get to know but I’m not quite as shy and quiet as I seem on the outside.”