Get To Know – Katie Doyle

“GET TO KNOW” FEATURES: Throughout the fall 2020 semester the Fairmont State Athletics Department will be posting “get to know” features to allow fans, donors, parents, and fellow student-athletes to get to know members of the 17 athletics programs at Fairmont State University. For today’s feature, we sat down with redshirt-senior soccer forward Katie Doyle.

Why did you choose Fairmont State? 

“I chose Fairmont State because it was close to home. I just wanted to get far enough away from home to be on my own, but not too far. Also, I kinda knew the area and I liked the coaching staff when they were recruiting me.” 

You were here in 2016 when the program was in its infancy, the second year competing at the Division II level. Can you describe what it has been like to see the upward trajectory of the program? 

“It’s honestly been the most humbling… and just a feeling of everything you never thought was going to pay off, pay off finally. Playing in basically the entire game, [every game] freshman year and losing every game was not something I was used to. And it was a hard feeling to be on a team like that. But I stuck it out and now I couldn’t be more happy with our success as a program, as a team, and individually.” 

Can you tell me your story/journey, about your family and where you were raised? 

“I was born in a city right outside of Pittsburgh (Carnegie). I was raised by my mom in one house and then my dad in another house. I was just always playing sports growing up. That’s kinda what my life revolved around: soccer, basketball and track” 

Biggest moment(s) on and off the field? 

“I would say our biggest moment this past season would be coming second in the MEC Tournament. I know it wasn’t first, we didn’t win conference, but that was an accomplishment for all of us that helped build this program. I could’ve never seen us making it to conference playoffs two years ago and we made it and we got second. I thought that was a huge accomplishment for us even though we didn’t get the result we wanted. 
“Another big accomplishment… I just remember always being rivals with West Virginia Wesleyan. And when we beat them my senior year with the other two seniors, Abbey and Cam, that was one of the moments I will never forget. Just beating a team that we have been rivals with since freshman year, that we never thought we had a chance at beating.” 
“Off the field, honestly a lot of special moments happen in my house that I live in. All the girls come over and we like to hangout and make sure everyone gets to know each other and becomes a family off the field as well as on.” 

Can you talk about your relationships with Abigail Johnson and Cameryn Ciresi? 

“It’s going to be a hard season for me and different because I’ll be playing without my two best friends. So that will be hard on me. It is still going to be okay, but definitely different not having them around.” 

How does it feel being the only member of the 2016 recruiting class remaining on the team? 

“It’s a weird feeling, but it’s fine. I’m still close with everyone on the team and I feel like I’m just me, just a little bit older and everyone feels the same. It is weird though being the only person to relate to like the past seasons from early on in 2016.” 

What does it mean for you to be a Falcon? 

“I just look at what it represents to be an athlete at Fairmont State. For me personally, it just goes on hard work amd determination. Just like our program coming from the bottom and then making our way up. It’s all about hard work. I just feel like it never fails. That’s what I think we represent – hard work and determination.” 

What are your expectations for this spring? 

“I think it’s going to be a lot of building for us as a team. We have a lot of new freshman recruits who still have to learn how we play, how Fairmont plays. We just need to create a bond and see how each of them can help the team. I think we will be able to play off each other and play with each other.” 

How motivated or anxious do you feel to play right now? 

“Oh I feel so anxious to play. I can’t wait to get back on the field, and I know that’s how everyone on my team feels too. We can’t wait to get back out there. We are already working hard, we’ve been working hard and we’re just ready to get the opportunity to play and show ourselves.” 

Have you been able to stay engaged and connected with coaches and teammates during this time with restrictions, not being able to play or practice as normal? 

“I think my team and my coach has done a very good job at staying connected. We talk every single day. And we’ve been talking every single day since we were sent home for spring break. That’s just how we are. We have our group chats we all talk in. We have our snapchats we all talk in. I think our coach has done a very good job with keeping us updated and informed on the day-to-day changes that have been happening during COVID-19.” 

Do you think the pandemic has made your experience any less meaningful as a student-athlete? 

“For me personally, no because I just want to play soccer. I just enjoy being out practicing with my team and stuff. It’s still all meaningful because eventually we are going to get the opportunity to show ourselves and we’re going to be ready for that opportunity when it comes.” 

What has it been like you for you as a student with online classes, masks, and distancing? 

“For me as a student, online classes are rough. I’m the type of person who needs to be face-to-face. And I just like to be in class. It just helps me better. The masks and social distancing, nothing like that bothers me. But I definitely do better with in person classes.” 

Major: History. Expected graduation: Spring 2021. Future plans? 

“To be honest, I don’t have anything set in stone yet. I’m just going to kinda go with the flow. I’ll figure it all out when the time comes.” 

Activities/Interests outside of school and sports? 

“I like to work out. Otherwise, I’m usually just with my friends and we just kinda be goofballs together.” 

If there was one thing you want people to know about your personality, what would it be? 

“I’m low-key really weird.”