The Folklife Center on Main Street 

On Monday November 8th, 2021, Fairmont State University’s Frank and Jane Gabor West Virginia Folklife Center had a table on the second floor of the Falcon Center from 11:30 am to 2:00 pm. During this time work study students from the Folklife Center handed out information on the Folklore Studies and Museum Studies minors, free copies of the Traditions journal, and had a selfie frame for students to take their picture.  

Dr. Francene Kirk, a professor at the Folklife Center thought that now, since it is the end of the semester, would be the best time to host a table in case there are any students that are still deciding on what to minor in. This is good timing and just in time for registration.  

For anyone that doesn’t know that doesn’t know, the Frank and Jane Gabor West Virginia Folklife Center is the barn-like building at the bottom of the hill on the Fairmont State University campus. It’s the home to many of Ruth Ann Musick’s, the woman that the library was named after, archives. They also have a bunch of audio and video stories ready for listening upstairs.  

The Folklife Center also holds a bunch of events such as the banjo demonstration from November 7th, the Phillis Moore Author Series, and Second Saturdays. Second Saturdays is the one Saturday a month that the Folklife Center is open to the public with games and activities. It always takes place on the second Saturday of the month, hence the name Second Saturday.  

Since it is the end of the semester, there is only one event left and that is the Second Saturday event on November 13th. The activity for this one is a workshop called “Preserving Family History”. Don’t worry, there will still be games for the kids! 

If you want to know more about the Folklife Center you can find them on Facebook, you can email them, or you could go down there between classes.  

Facebook: The Frank & Jane Gabor West Virginia Folklife Center 

Email[email protected]