Advice From a Senior: Public Transportation for Fairmont State Students 

Do you ever need a ride from campus but don’t have a car or someone who can take you? Don’t worry because I have found the answer to this common problem! There is no designated stop on campus, but The Fairmont-Marion County Transit Authority (FMCTA) will usually pick students up from the bench located right outside of the parking garage on Bryant Street. The bus can be caught anywhere on campus if you’re on the outer sidewalk on Locust Avenue, Bryant Street, and Squibb Wilson Blvd. By showing the driver your FSU ID card, you may ride for free.  

The bus arrives on campus at 15 minutes past EVERY hour. FMCTA offers courtesy stops, which means no matter if you are located on or off campus, you can wave your hand at the approaching bus, and it will stop for you. Drop-offs can also be handled the same way. When you board, let the driver know where you would like to be dropped off at, waving your hand when near the location will help remind the driver. There is a new transfer station downtown, on the corner of Jefferson and Monroe streets, that serves a s a “hub.” On Wednesday of each week, FMCTA takes riders from the transfer station to Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport. The bus departs at 9:30 am and returns at 1:00 pm. On the 4th Wednesday of every month, the bus travels to Morgantown Mall instead of Meadowbrook.  

Now, further-reaching transportation is also provided. Call the FMCTA one day in advance, and you can arrange for an inexpensive (approx. $4) trip to connect locally with the Baron Bus or Mountain Line Grey Line OR, from Morgantown, the Megabus or Greyhound (which provides connections to cities such as Pittsburgh, Charleston, Clarksburg, D.C., and beyond. Airports that are commonly used after transportation are the Pittsburgh International Airport (Pittsburgh, PA), North Central West Virginia Airport (Clarksburg, WV), and Morgantown Municipal Airport (Morgantown, WV.) 

Transportation and their information are: 

Fairmont-Marion County Transit Authority (FMCTA) 

Web: www.fmcta.com 

Main Office: 400 Quincy St., Fairmont, WV 26554 
Phone Number: 304-366-8177 

Mountain Line Transit Authority and the Grey Line 

Web: www.busride.org 

Main Office: 420 DuPont Road, Morgantown, WV 26501 (use Westover Exit off Interstate 79) 

Phone Number: 304-296-3680 

Travels twice daily to Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Mylan, Towers, Mountaineer Station, Waynesburg, Pittsburgh Airport, and Pittsburgh Greyhound Station. 

Barons Bus Lines and the I-Ride 79 Bus Service for West Virginia 

Web: www.baronsbus.com/i-ride-79-service 

Main Office: 12800 Brookpark Rd., Cleveland, OH 44130 

Phone Number: 888-378-3823 

Travels to: Charleston, Clendenin, Flatwoods, Weston, Clarksburg, Fairmont, and Morgantown.