West Virginia Innovation and Business Model Competition 

Fairmont State University will be taking part in the West Virginia Innovation and Business Model Competition, which was started by Marshall University. The competition is open to students who are enrolled in a West Virginia college or university. Students of any major, who may want to get involved in the business world one day, are encouraged to participate. Competitions like these benefit Fairmont State and their students because it adds to the learning process, along with enriching the student experience, as a whole.   

Due to COVID-19, the competitions will be held virtually. During the presentation, each team or participant must present a 5–7-minute PowerPoint presentation, that includes a completed explanation of a Lean Canvas Business Model, which is a way to manage existing or start new business models. The qualifying or regional competition is scheduled to be held by Fairmont State via WebEx on March 12, 2021. Winners of regionals will advance to the finals which will be held by Marshall University on a virtual platform on April 16, 2021. The winning students can win up to $3,000 in cash and prizes. These students may also receive helpful tools for rewards, such as, Web Design, financial advice, and other tools that can help them turn their idea(s) into a real-life business. 

“This is a great opportunity for students to get involved in a statewide activity that can help them both personally and professionally. The competition is just another way for a student to help build upon their education and add to their future resume”, stated Mr. Jim Davis, Assistant Professor at Fairmont State University School of Business.  

Students who are interested in participating should reach out to Mr. Davis, at [email protected]. 

Anyone who is interested can find the flyer here