Black Student Union Meet and Greek

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021, members of both Fairmont State University’s and West Virginia University’s Black Student Union met via WebEx to discuss the presence of African American Greek Life on Fairmont State’s campus. The meeting was held and proctored by Assistant Director of Student Life, Evan Fossen.  

Multiple Fairmont State students got the opportunity to speak on behalf of their chapter. They were able to discustopics such as the history of their chapter, what kind of activities they participate inand what kind of citizen the chapter is looking to add to their group.  

The subject of this week’s seminar was The Divine 9 Greek organizations, in honor of Black History Month. Divine 9 is a group of 9 chapters with rich ties to the African American community. Students at West Virginia University and Fairmont State University elaborated on what it means to them to be involved in such a prestigious group.  

Student representative Aaliyah Williams spoke on behalf of the first and only African American sorority on campus, Zeta Phi Beta. Williams educated the meeting on her chapter’s history, proudly stating the chapter originated in one of the most well-known historically Black Universities, Howard University. Moving forward, Williams gave a good feel for what is to be expected if you are considering joining the sorority. 

“Keeping an above average GPA and being an outstanding member in the community is what’s most important to us,” said Aaliyah Williams. 

Next up to speak was Fairmont’s Black Student Union member, Mark Woods. Woods is a member of Kappa Alpha Si, a historically known Black fraternity forged in the state of Indiana in the face of racism. Woods was adamant about making his group’s presence felt in Fairmont Community through an outstanding reputation and members participating in community service.  

“I want to give my African American brothers a sense of family and show that you really can be a part of something positive in your community,” said Mark Woods. 

The Black Student Union has events planned for the rest of February to honor Black History Month, including a February 9th meeting via WebEx centered around dialogue on race. Students interested in participating in these meetings should check Fairmont’s student life calendar. 

via Falcon Flyer