FSU Career Center

The Career Center has an abundance of services, right at the fingertips of Fairmont State University students.  The University strongly believes in student success after graduation, and the Career Center follows these same values.  Executive Director of Academic Advising, Tutoring and Testing, and Career Services, Mr. John DeVault stated, “There are people here that want to help you, it’s their job to help you. I really encourage students to take advantage of every opportunity and all of the resources that they have here.”  The Career Center offers in-person help, which can be found on the second floor of the Turley Center, or via virtual meeting times.  

Many students struggle to find a major that they feel fits their personal interests.  The Career Center team reminds students that there are countless career options for their specific field.  They provide information on where former FSU students are today, based on their major.  This helps current students to visualize what the future may hold for them. 

The Career Center provides guidance on resume building for students.  Ms. Ja-Rhonda Staples in the Career Center works with these students to prepare for their future job application process.  Another focus for post-graduates are interviewing skills.  The Career Center holds mock interviews and gives students other various resources for help with interviewing strategies.  The team at the Career Center team also assists students in surveying graduate school options and completing the steps for the application process.  

A weekly program is available for students who want to see what it is like for Fairmont State University graduates in their careers today.  The presentations give students a realistic process of what to expect when finding a future job. 

The meetings are Tuesday from 12:30-1:15. The WebEx link is https://fairmontstate.webex.com/fairmontstate/j.php?MTID=m5ca230362928e1141126f2d21ac9f13d. 

If students would like to join in-person to hear the presentations, they can head to the MMB of the Ruth Ann Musick Library for limited inperson seating.  

There are hopes for an in-person Career Fair during the 2020-21 school year.  If this is not possible, due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Career Center team is already putting future virtual plans together.