NCAA College Athlete Compensation 

There has been an ongoing battle for years on whether or not college athletes should be compensated for their image and likeliness. College athletes are what help drive a lot of institutions and let alone the whole National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) 

There is no doubt that the money brought in by these schools is strictly because of the athletes. Just for March Madness the college basketball tournament that just ended, the NCAA gets paid $1.1 billion each year for the TV rights. The U.S. Supreme Court is testing whether or not the NCAA compensation limits for student-athletes violate the antitrust laws. Many college athletes feel like the NCAA is just a big business. A business that is very wealthy but it takes advantage of its student-athletes to get that amount of income. 

U.S. Supreme Court goes into sports law Wednesday in a case testing whether the NCAA’s limits on compensation for student-athletes violate the nation’s antitrust laws. This has been a popular topic in the NCAA for years and especially one of the most controversial topics. Athletes have always felt that if coaches can get paid thousands and millions of dollars, then the athletes could at least get something to help them out every month. This is part of the process that the NCAA is going through to possibly change their policy about athletes being able to profit off of their name, image, and likeness.  

This is big for all NCAA athletes across the country. Fairmont State students and student-athletes should keep track of this as it goes on. This can be a big change for all levels of sports in the NCAA such as Division one, two, and three.