Fairmont State Hosts Community Conversation about Substance Use

Keely Stiles
From left to right, Andrea Pammer, Tim Curry, Darcie Scott, Morgan Henson, Lloyd White, Matthew Swain, Steve Shine, and Dan Mavromatis.

More than 30 students and staff gathered Wednesday in the Ruth Ann Musick Library’s MMA Auditorium for a Campus Community Conversation about Substance Use Issues and Solutions in Marion County. Experts on the discussion panel were: Dan Mavromatis, resident agent-in-charge from the Drug Enforcement Agency; Steve Shine with the Fairmont Police Department; Matthew Swain, Chief of Police at Fairmont State; Lloyd White, executive director of the Marion County Health Department and Chief medical examiner; Morgan Henson with Ascension Recovery Services; Darcie Scott with Region 4 Prevention; and Tim Curry with the Marion County rescue squad. Each expert shared their background knowledge on the problem and how they are trying to combat substance abuse issues in our area. The panel discussion lasted about an hour.

Keely Stiles
Dan Mavromatis with the DEA.
Keely Stiles
Drugs seized in Clarksburg, West Virginia by the DEA.
Keely Stiles
Drugs seized in Bridgeport, West Virginia by the DEA.

Law enforcement representatives Dan Mavromatis, Matthew Swain, and Steve Shine focused on education and prevention. Others, Lloyd White, Morgan Henson, Darcie Scott, and Tim Curry, were more focused on helping those already on the path of substance abuse to recover.  The discussion not only highlighted solutions, but also went into the tragic and horrible side of substance abuse in our state. Each expert and organization highlighted their knowledge of the problem, and what they are doing to help stop it. Lloyd White remarked that, although they each have a different way of trying to solve the problem, “If we don’t use all of our resources the problem won’t get solved.”

Keely Stiles

Dan Mavromatis said that the individuals on the panel are all working toward the same goal – “the business of saving lives.” Anyone interested in connecting with any of these resources can do so through the Department of Counseling, Health, and Accessibility in the Turley Student Center. For anyone interested in becoming a part of the solution, the Turley Student Center is hosting a training session for people who want to become an ally to those in recovery on April 9th, at 12:30 p.m. in room 217.